Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Organisation des Nations Unies pour l'alimentation et l'agriculture
Organización de las Naciones Unidas para la Agricultura y la Alimentación
1945-10-16 Québec QC Canada
Constitution signed in 1945 by 44 countries. Absorbed H-XH2139 - International Institute of Agriculture, set up as an intergovernmental organization on 7 Jun 1905, and H-XH1801 - International Emergency Food Council, set up 1946. As a Specialized Agency of the A-XA3375 - United Nations (UN) within F-XF1000 - United Nations System, reports annually to E-XE3377 - ECOSOC.
Contribute towards an expanding world economy and ensure humanity's freedom from hunger by: raising the level of nutrition and living standards of people in member countries; securing improvement in the efficiency of production and distribution of all food and agricultural products; bettering the living conditions of rural populations.
Events2021-11-02 | Kyoto, Japan – World Landslide Forum
2021-08-23 | Accra, Ghana – World Teak Conference
2021-06-28 | Helsinki, Finland – International Plant Health Conference
1042 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Significant restructuring from 1994 onwards has decentralized operations and streamlined procedures.
I. /Governing Bodies/:
'Conference', meets in odd-numbered years, comprising all Members and Associate Members, and includes Chairperson and Secretary-General. 'Council', normally holding at least 5 session in a biennium, and containing 49 Member Nations. K-XK0546 - Committee on World Food Security (CFS). 'Regional Conferences': Africa (ARC); Asia and the Pacific (APRC); Europe (ERC); Latin America and the Caribbean (LARC); Near East (NERC). 'Council Committees' (3): Programme; Finance; Constitutional and Legal Matters. 'Technical Committees' (4): Agriculture (COAG); Commodity Problems (CCP); Fisheries (COFI); Forestry (COFO).
II. /Statutory Bodies/ - by subject matter:
- European Commission on Agriculture (ECA), set up 1949 monitors F-XF5077 - European System of Cooperative Research Networks in Agriculture (ESCORENA);
- Panel of Eminent Experts on Ethics in Food and Agriculture.
- 'Animal Production and Health':
- E-XE9649 - Animal Production and Health Commission for Asia and the Pacific (APHCA);
- E-XE1391 - Commission on Livestock Development in Latin America and the Caribbean (LDAC);
- E-XD0626 - European Commission for the Control of Foot-and-Mouth Disease (EUFMD);
- Panel of PAAT Advisory Group Coordinators.
- 'Commodities and Trade':
- Consultative Sub-Committee on Surplus Disposal;
- E-XE4198 - Intergovernmental Group on Bananas and on Tropical Fruits;
- E-XE3038 - Intergovernmental Group on Citrus Fruit;
- E-XE3056 - Intergovernmental Group on Grains;
- E-XE3073 - Intergovernmental Group on Hard Fibres (IGG on Hard Fibres);
- E-XE3046 - Intergovernmental Group on Jute, Kenaf and Allied Fibres (IGG on Jute, Kenal and Allied Fibres);
- E-XE3014 - Intergovernmental Group on Meat and Dairy Products, including
- E-XE3031 - Intergovernmental Group on Oilseeds, Oils and Fats;
- E-XE3066 - Intergovernmental Group on Rice;
- E-XE3069 - Intergovernmental Group on Tea.
- Advisory Committee on Fisheries Research;
- E-XE1023 - Asia-Pacific Fishery Commission (APFIC);
- Central Asian and Caucasus Regional Fisheries and Aquaculture Commission (CACFish);
- 'COFI Sub-Committee on Aquaculture';
- 'COFI Sub-Committee on Fish Trade';
- E-XE9953 - Comisión de Pesca Continental y Acuicultura para América Latina y el Caribe (COPESCAALC);
- E-XE0139 - Committee for Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture of Africa (CIFAA);
- 'Coordinating Working Party on Fishery Statistics';
- E-XE1070 - European Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture Advisory Commission (EIFAAC);
- E-XE9778 - Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic (CECAF);
- E-XE0994 - General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM);
- E-XE2029 - Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (IOTC);
- E-XM0774 - Regional Commission for Fisheries (RECOFI);
- E-XM0772 - South West Indian Ocean Fisheries Commission (SWIOFC);
- E-XE3487 - Western Central Atlantic Fishery Commission (WECAFC).
- 'Food Policy and Nutrition':
- E-XE8700 - Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC);
- Codex Committee on Cereals, Pulses and Legumes;
- Codex Committee on Cocoa Products and Chocolate;
- Codex Committee on Contaminents in Food;
- Codex Committee on Fats and Oils;
- Codex Committee on Fish and Fishery Products;
- Codex Committee on Food Additives;
- Codex Committee on Food Hygiene;
- Codex Committee on Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification Systems;
- Codex Committee on Food Labelling;
- Codex Committee on Fresh Fruits and Vegetables;
- Codex Committee on General Principles;
- Codex Committee on Meat Hygiene;
- Codex Committee on Methods of Analysis and Sampling;
- Codex Committee on Milk and Milk Products;
- Codex Committee on Natural Mineral Waters;
- Codex Committee on Nutrition and Food for Special Dietary Uses;
- Codex Committee on Pesticide Residues;
- Codex Committee on Processed Fruits and Vegetables;
- Codex Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods;
- Codex Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs;
- Codex Committee on Sugars;
- Codex Committee on Vegetable Proteins;
- Executive Committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Africa (CCAFRICA);
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Asia (CCASIA);
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Europe (CCEURO);
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for Latin America and the Caribbean (CCLAC);
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for North America and the South West Pacific (CCCNASWP);
- FAO/WHO Coordinating Committee for the Near East;
- E-XE6099 - Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA).
- Advisory Committee on Sustainable Forest-based Industries (ACSFI);
- E-XE9583 - African Forestry and Wildlife Commission (AFWC);
- E-XE6407 - AFWC/EFC/NEFC Committee on Mediterranean Forestry Questions - Silva Mediterranea;
- E-XE9622 - Asia-Pacific Forestry Commission (APFC);
- E-XE6120 - European Forestry Commission (EFC);
- E-XE2371 - International Poplar Commission (IPC);
- E-XE1755 - Latin American and Caribbean Forestry Commission (LACFC);
- E-XE4876 - Near East Forestry Commission (NEFC);
- E-XE5873 - North American Forestry Commission (NAFC).
- 'Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture':
- Ad Hoc Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Aquatic Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture;
- Ad Hoc Technical Working Group on Access and Benefit-sharing for Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture;
- E-XE6950 - Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (CGRFA);
- Governing Body of K-XK1387 - Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITWG-AnGR);
- Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture;
- Panel of Experts on Forest Gene Resources.
- 'Land and Water Development';
- E-XE2076 - Agricultural and Land and Water Use Commission for the Near East (ALAWUC).
- 'Plant Production and Protection':
- E-XE3927 - Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission (APPPC);
- E-XE9590 - Commission for Controlling the Desert Locust in the Central Region (CRC);
- E-XE9706 - Commission for Controlling the Desert Locust in South-West Asia (SWAC);
- E-XE9584 - FAO Commission for Controlling the Desert Locust in the Western Region;
- Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM);
- U-XK0863 - FAO Desert Locust Control Committee (DLCC);
- T-XT5116 - International Plant Protection Convention, 1951 (IPPC);
- Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Management (JMPM);
- Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Residues (JMPR);
- Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Specifications (JMPS);
- Standards Committee;
- Subsidiary Body on Dispute Settlement (SBDS).
- E-XE9654 - African Commission on Agricultural Statistics (AFCAS);
- E-XE9186 - Asia and Pacific Commission on Agricultural Statistics (APCAS);
- FAO/ECE/CES Study Group on Food and Agricultural Statistics in Europe;
- FAO/OEA-CIE/IICA Working Group on Agricultural and Livestock Statistics for Latin America and the Caribbean.
III. /Regional Offices/ (5):
- E-XE9659 - FAO Regional Office for Africa (FAO/RAF);
- E-XE0151 - FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP);
- E-XE9681 - FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (FAO/REU);
- E-XE9569 - FAO Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (FAO/RLC);
- E-XE0365 - FAO Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa.
IV. /Director-General/ heads Offices, Departments and Divisions. Departments (6): Agriculture and Consumer Protection; Economic and Social Development; Fisheries and Aquaculture; Forestry; Corporate Services; Human Resources and Finance; Technical Cooperation. Programmes/projects functioning in the above departments include:
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.