Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC)
Commission océanographique intergouvernementale (COI)
Comisión Oceanografica Intergubernamental (COI)
Mezpravitelstvennaja Okeanograficeskaja Komissija (MOK)
1960 Paris France
Established 1960, Paris (France), as a body with functional autonomy within B-XB3383 - UNESCO, in accordance with a resolution of Intergovernmental Conference on Oceanographic Research, Jul 1960, Copenhagen (Denmark), by decision of 11th General Conference of UNESCO, Nov 1960. The only competent organization for marine science within the UN System. Full title: Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) . First met at UNESCO Headquarters, 19-27 Oct 1961. Initially 40 states became members. Statutes modified: 1970; 1987; 1999 by General Conference of UNESCO at its 30th session.
Promote international cooperation and coordinate programmes in research, services and capacity building in order to learn more about the nature and resources of the ocean and coastal areas and apply that knowledge for the improvement of management, sustainable development, protection of the marine environment, and the decision-making processes of its Member States.
Events188 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Assembly (every 2 years) in Paris (France); Executive Council (meeting annually). Technical and regional subsidiary bodies, including joint bodies with other organizations:
- E-XE5376 - IOC Sub-Commission for the Caribbean and Adjacent Regions (IOCARIBE);
- K-XE1187 - IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC);
- K-XJ6013 - IOC Sub-Commission for Africa and the Adjacent Island States (IOCAFRICA);
- K-XE1178 - IOC Regional Committee for the Central Indian Ocean (IOCINDIO);
- Black Sea Regional Committee (BSRC);
- E-XE0888 - Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Pacific Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (ICG/PTWS);
- E-XM0419 - Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (ICG IOTWS);
- E-XM0420 - Intergovernmental Coordination Group for Tsunami and Other Coastal Hazards Warning System for the Caribbean and Adjacent Regions (ICG/CARIBE EWS);
- E-XJ5638 - Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Tsunami Early Warning and Mitigation System in the North-eastern Atlantic, the Mediterranean and Connected Seas (ICG/NEAMTWS);
- IOC Committee on F-XE6957 - International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange (IODE);
- F-XF2537 - Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) Steering Committee;
- E-XE3195 - IOC Intergovernmental Panel on Harmful Blooms (IPHAB);
- K-XK0090 - IOC Group of Experts on the Global Sea-Level Observing System (GLOSS);
- OIC Working Group on Tsunamis and Other Hazards Related to Sea-Level Warning and Mitigation Systems (TOWS-WG);
- Advisory Body of Experts on the Law of the Sea (ABE-LOS).
Other joint groups: E-XE4186 - Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection (GESAMP); E-XE1593 - Joint IOC/IHO Guiding Committee for the General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO); E-XE3456 - Joint WMO-IOC Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology (JCOMM); F-XF9983 - World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). Together with IHO, provides joint committees for: International Bathymetric Chart of the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico (IBCCA); International Bathymetric Chart of the Central Eastern Atlantic (IBCEA); International Bathymetric Chart of the Mediterranean (IBCM); International Bathymetric Chart of the Western Indian Ocean (IBCWIO). Contributes to: T-XT9210 - United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.