International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
Organisation de l'aviation civile internationale (OACI)
Organización de Aviación Civil Internacional (OACI)
Mezdunarodnaja Organizacija Grazdanskoj Aviacii (IKAO)
The T-XT4402 - Convention on International Civil Aviation (Chicago Convention) was signed 7 Dec 1944, Chicago IL (USA). Pending ratification of the Convention by 26 States, the Provisional International Civil Aviation Organization (PICAO) -- Organisation provisoire de l'aviation civile internationale was established and functioned from 6 Jun 1945 to 4 Apr 1947. By 5 Mar 1947, the 26th Ratification having been received, ICAO came into being on 4 Apr 1947. In Oct 1947, became a specialized agency of A-XA3375 - United Nations (UN) in the framework of F-XF1000 - United Nations System, linked to E-XE3377 - ECOSOC.
Serve as a platform of cooperation among national governments who cooperate together on international civil aviation matters under the Chicago Convention.
Events2020-12-17 | Montréal, QC Canada – AVSEC : Global Aviation Security Symposium
455 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Plenary Assembly (at least every 3 years). Permanent Council (meets 3 times a year, always in Montréal), comprising 36 members serving 3-year term. Air Navigation Commission of 15 members; Air Transport Committee of 36 members; Joint Support Committee of 13 members; Finance Committee of 17 members; Committee on Unlawful Interference with International Aviation and its Facilities Committee of 21 members; Technical Cooperation Committee of 19 members. Special panels appointed from time to time as required. Meetings of main bodies normally open.
/Secretariat Structure/ - reporting to Secretary General
I. Office of Secretary General, including:
- Finance Branch, overseeing -
- -Accounting Services Section,
- -Financial Services Section;
- External Relations and Public Information Office;
- Office for Programmes Evaluation, Audit and Management Review;
- Asia and Pacific Office, Bangkok (Thailand);
- Eastern and Southern African Office, Nairobi (Kenya);
- European and North Atlantic Office, Paris (France);
- Middle East Office, Cairo (Egypt);
- North American, Central American and Caribbean Office, Mexico City (Mexico);
- South American Office, Lima (Peru);
- Western and Central African Office, Dakar (Senegal);
- Regional Affairs Office.
II. Air Navigation Bureau, including:
- Deputy Director who oversees -
- Communications, Navigation and Surveillance Section,
- Meteorology Section,
- Safety Oversight Audit Section,
- Flight Safety Section, including
- -Aviation Training Policy and Standards Unit,
- Air Traffic Management Section,
- Accident Investigation and Prevention Section,
- Aerodromes, Air Routes and Ground Aids Section,
- Aeronautical Information and Charts Section, overseeing
- -Aeronautical Information Unit,
- -Cartographic Unit,
- Aviation Medicine Section,
- Unified Strategy Programme Unit.
III. Air Transport Bureau, including:
- Deputy Director who oversees -
- Economic Policy Section,
- Statistics Section,
- Forecasting and Economic Planning Section,
- Airport and Route Facility Management Section,
- Joint Financing Section,
- Environmental Unit;
- Aviation Security and Facilitation Branch which oversees -
- Aviation Security Section,
- Support Unit,
- Development Unit,
- Assistance and Oversight Unit,
- Facilitation Section;
- Aviation Security Audit Unit.
IV. Technical Cooperation Bureau, including:
- Deputy Director who oversees -
- Field Operations Section, Europe and Middle East,
- Field Operations Section, Africa,
- Field Operations Section, The Americas,
- Field Operations Section, Asia and Pacific,
- Project Development Section, overseeing
- -Fellowships Unit,
- Field Personnel Section, overseeing
- -Field Recruitment Unit,
- -Field Personnel Administration Unit,
- Field Procurement Section, overseeing
- -Procurement Unit,
- -Procurement Support Unit (Technical),
- Regular Programme Procurement Section;
- Programme Budget Unit.
V. Bureau of Administration and Services, including:
- Personnel Branch which oversees -
- Staff Services Section, including
- -Social Security and Welfare Unit,
- Recruitment, Establishment and Studies Section;
- Language and Publications Branch which oversees -
- English and Publications Section, including Editorial Unit,
- French Section, including Editorial Unit and Text Processing Unit,
- Spanish Section, including Editorial Unit and Text Processing Unit,
- Russian Section, including Editorial Unit and Text Processing Unit,
- Arabic Section, including Editorial Unit and Text Processing Unit,
- Chinese Section,
- Interpretation Section,
- Terminology, Reference and Documentation Section,
- Document Control,
- Printing Section, including
- -Production Unit,
- -Assembling and Collating Unit,
- -Pre-Press Unit;
- And also includes
- Conference and Office Services Section, including
- -General Services Unit,
- Registry, Distribution and Sales Section, including
- -Registry and Telecommunications Unit,
- -Document Sales Unit,
- -Internal Distribution Unit,
- -External Distribution Unit,
- Information and Communication Technology Section,
- Assembly and Council Secretariat,
- Web, Library and Archives.
VI. Legal Bureau.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.