International Council on Archives (ICA)
Conseil international des archives
Consejo Internacional de Archivos
1948-06 Paris France
Founded by professional archivists meeting under the auspices of UNESCO. Definitively established, Aug 1950, Paris, at 1st S-XS2324 - International Archives Congress. Constitution adopted at the Inaugural Meeting of the Provisional Council, convened by UNESCO, 9-11 Jun 1948; amended by Constituent Assembly on 20 Aug 1950, and by General Assemblies on: 16 Aug 1960; 1 Sep 1964; 3 Sep 1968; 25 Aug 1972; 29 Sep 1976; 19 Sep 1980; 19-21 Sep 1984; 24-26 Aug 1988. Constitution revised and adopted at General Assembly on 7-11 Sep 1992; amended by General Assembly on 4-7 Sep 1996; amended and approved by General Assembly 22-26 Sep 2000, Seville (Spain); amended and adopted by General Assembly Aug 2004, Vienna (Austria); amended and approved at Annual General Meeting, Nov 2007; amended and adopted by General Assembly Aug 2012, Brisbane (Australia). Previously also known under the French acronym CIA.
Promote the management and use of records and archives and the preservation of the archival heritage of humanity worldwide, through sharing of experience, research and ideas on professional archival and records management matters and on management and organization of archival institutions.
Events2021-10-19 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates – Quadrennial International Congress on Archives
158 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
General Meeting (annual); Executive Board (meets annually); Elected Officer-Holders Meeting. Commissions (2): Audit; Programme. U-XF6113 - Fund for the International Development of Archives (FIDA).
Regional branches (13):
- E-XD6137 - Asociación Latinoamericana de Archivos (ALA);
- K-XE0017 - Arab Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (ARBICA);
- K-XE0018 - Caribbean Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (CARBICA);
- K-XE0010 - Regional Branch for Central Africa of the International Council on Archives;
- K-XK0758 - East Asian Regional Branch of the ICA (EASTICA);
- K-XE0009 - Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (ESARBICA);
- K-XK2131 - Eurasian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (EURASICA);
- K-XK2132 - European Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (EURBICA);
- North American Archival Network (NAANICA);
- K-XE0022 - Pacific Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (PARBICA);
- K-XE5060 - Southeast Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (SARBICA);
- K-XE0021 - South and West Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (SWARBICA);
- K-XE0019 - West African Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (WARBICA).
- Archival Education and Training (SAE);
- Notarial Records (SAN);
- Architectural Records (SAR);
- Business Archives (SBA);
- International Organizations (SIO);
- Archives of Faith Traditions (SAFT);
- Literature and Art Archives (SLA);
- Local, Municipal and Territorial Archives (SMLT);
- Professional Associations (SPA);
- Sports Archives (SPO);
- Archives of Parliaments and Political Parties (SPL);
- University and Research Institution Archives (SUV).
- Expert Group on Archival Description (EGAD);
- Working Group on Archives and Human Rights (HRWG);
- Working Group on Intellectual Property (WGIP);
- Photographic and Audiovisual Archives Group (PAAG);
- Publications Review Working Group (PWRG);
- Archive Buildings and Environment (EGABE);
- Advocacy (AEG);
- International Journal on Archives (COMMA).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Consultative StatusAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.