Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CONGO)
Conférence des organisations non-gouvernementales ayant des relations consultatives avec les Nations Unies
1948-05 Geneva Switzerland
Founded when H-XH7126 - Interim Committee of the Consultative Non-Governmental Organizations organized First Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations in Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (Conférence des organisations non-gouvernementales ayant le statut consultatif auprès du Conseil économique et social des Nations Unies). Present name adopted by 20th General Assembly, Nov 1997, Geneva. Present Statutes adopted by 26th General Assembly, March 2018, Geneva. Based near E-XE3343 - United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG).
Ensure that nongovernmental organizations in consultative relationship enjoy the fullest opportunities and all appropriate facilities for performing their consultative functions; foster cooperation and dialogue among all NGOs related to the UN system; provide a forum for exchange of views on matters relating to the consultative process and on strengthening of the relationship between NGOs and the United Nations, including the contributions which NGOs in consultative relationship can make to promoting the principles, purposes and effectiveness of the UN and its related agencies and programmes; mobilize public opinion in support of the aims and principles of the United Nations; promote education about the UN with special emphasis on the contribution which NGOs make to its work; convene meetings of NGOs for exchange of views on matters of common interest.
Events2021 – General Assembly
77 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
General Assembly (every 3-4 years); Board; Secretariat at Geneva, New York and Vienna offices. NGO Substantive Committees which function under the auspices of CONGO, generally with no fixed secretariat, their activities being carried out by member organizations, especially by the organizations of the officers -
(a) New York NY (USA):
- E-XE9969 - Alliance of NGOs on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice;
- E-XE1381 - CONGO Committee on Human Rights;
- E-XD4029 - NGO Committee on Ageing, New York;
- E-XE5920 - NGO Committee on Disarmament, Peace and Security, New York NY;
- NGO Committee on Education, Literacy and Learning, New York;
- E-XJ2168 - NGO Committee on Financing for Development, New York;
- E-XE3149 - NGO Committee on Freedom of Religion or Belief, New York NY;
- E-XE1644 - NGO Committee on Human Settlements;
- E-XE3147 - NGO Committee on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples;
- E-XE2217 - NGO Committee on Mental Health, New York NY;
- E-XM4523 - NGO Committee on Migration, New York;
- NGO Committee for Rare Diseases, New York;
- E-XE3705 - NGO Committee on Social Development;
- K-XE1224 - NGO Committee on the Status of Women, New York NY;
- E-XE1643 - NGO Committee on Sustainable Development, New York;
- E-XE1387 - NGO Committee on Youth;
- E-XE2549 - NGO Committee on the Family, New York NY;
- E-XE1018 - New York NGO Committee on Drugs (NYNGOC).
(b) Geneva (Switzerland):
- E-XE2259 - NGO Committee on the Status of Women, Geneva;
- K-XK2225 - NGO Committee on Ageing, Geneva;
- E-XE1388 - NGO Committee on Development, Geneva;
- E-XE4377 - NGO Committee for Disarmament, Geneva;
- E-XE6390 - Committee of NGOs on Human Rights, Geneva, with Sub-Committee - K-XK2227 - NGO Committee on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Geneva.
(c) Vienna (Austria):
- E-XE1386 - Vienna NGO Committee on the Status of Women;
- K-XE0556 - NGO Committee on Ageing, Vienna;
- E-XE4542 - NGO Committee on Sustainable Development, Vienna;
- E-XE4053 - Vienna NGO Committee on Drugs (VNGOC);
- E-XE2219 - NGO Committee on Peace, Vienna.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Consultative StatusAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.