United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Conseil économique et social des Nations Unies
Consejo Económico y Social de las Naciones Unidas
Contact DetailsAvailable with paid subscription only.
1945-10-24 New York NY USA
Established by the Charter of the United Nations -- Charte des Nations Unies, as the principal organ of A-XA3375 - United Nations (UN) within F-XF1000 - United Nations System, to coordinate the economic and social work of the United Nations and the specialized agencies and institutions, known as 'United Nations family' of organizations. Officially constituted, 13 Jan 1946. Originally consisting of 18 members; enlarged to 27 members as of Jan 1966, in accordance with an amendment to the Charter which came into force on 31 Aug 1965. By resolution 2847 (XXVI) of 20 Dec 1971, UN General Assembly decided to adopt an amendment to Article 61 of the Charter providing for the increase of the membership to 54 members. Pending ratification of the amendment, ECOSOC, by resolution 1621 (LI) decided to enlarge its sessional committees from 27 to 54 members, the additional members to be elected annually by the Council. The amendment to Article 61 came into force on 24 Sep 1973.
Serve as a principal body for coordination, policy review, policy dialogue and recommendations on issues of economic and social development, as well as for implementation of the international development goals agreed at the major United Nations summits and conferences, including the Millennium Development Goals.
Events173 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Council comprises 54 member states, elected by UN General Assembly for 3-year terms, 18 at each year end, seats being allotted by geographical region: African states - 14; Asian states - 11; Eastern European states - 6; Latin American and Caribbean states - 10; 13 to Western European and other states - 13. Council usually meets for one regular Substantive Session a year, alternately in Geneva (Switzerland) and New York NY (USA). Decisions are usually arrived at by consensus, otherwise by a majority of members present and voting. Representatives of UN specialized agencies participate in ECOSOC proceedings without the right to vote. President; Bureau. Annual High-Level Segment includes: High-Level Political Forum; Development Cooperation Forum. Other sessions encompass: Integration Segment; Humanitarian Affairs Segment; Operational Activities for Development Segment; Management Segment; Youth Forum; Partnership Forum; Special meetings.
Subsidiary Bodies of ECOSOC:
'Functional Commissions' (8):
- E-XE1124 - United Nations Statistical Commission;
- E-XE1125 - United Nations Commission on Population and Development (CPD);
- E-XE1126 - United Nations Commission for Social Development (CSocD);
- E-XE1129 - United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW);
- E-XE5951 - United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND);
- E-XE3128 - United Nations Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ);
- E-XE3120 - United Nations Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD);
- F-XF6300 - United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF).
'Regional commissions' (5):
- E-XE4174 - United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA);
- E-XE4177 - United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP);
- E-XE4176 - United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE);
- E-XE4175 - United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC);
- E-XE4178 - United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA).
'Standing committees' (3):
- E-XE1028 - United Nations Committee for Programme and Coordination (CPC);
- E-XE1138 - United Nations Committee on Non-governmental Organizations;
- E-XE2548 - United Nations Committee on Negotiations with Intergovernmental Agencies.
'Expert bodies' (4) comprising governmental experts:
- E-XE1146 - United Nations Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods and on the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (Committee of Experts on TDG and GHS);
- E-XE0197 - Intergovernmental Working Group of Experts on International Standards of Accounting and Reporting (ISAR);
- E-XE0198 - United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN);
- E-XJ7860 - United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM).
'Expert bodies' (5) comprising members serving in their personal capacity:
- E-XE1144 - United Nations Committee for Development Policy (CDP);
- F-XF3808 - United Nations Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA);
- E-XE1145 - United Nations Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters;
- E-XE0199 - United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR);
- E-XE4327 - United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII).
'Related bodies' (4):
- Committee for the United Nations Population Award;
- E-XE2279 - International Narcotics Control Board (INCB);
- Programme Coordinating Board of E-XE2288 - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS);
- H-XW0410 - United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN).
Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) provides support to the work of the UN General Assembly, ECOSOC and HLPF).
Other UN bodies within the ECOSOC system:
Programmes and Funds (6):
- E-XE3382 - UNDP;
- E-XE4161 - UNEP;
- F-XF5606 - United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA);
- E-XE6809 - United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat);
- F-XF3380 - UNICEF;
- F-XE3543 - World Food Programme (WFP).
Research and Training (5):
- E-XE4069 - United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI);
- E-XE6904 - United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR);
- E-XE3387 - United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR);
- F-XK1600 - United Nations System Staff College (UNSSC);
- F-XF2488 - United Nations University (UNU).
Other Entities (9):
- E-XE2639 - International Trade Centre (ITC);
- E-XE2288 - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS);
- E-XE3016 - UNHCR;
- E-XK2002 - United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR);
- E-XE3574 - United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC);
- E-XK0972 - United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS);
- E-XE1325 - United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA);
- F-XJ2621 - UN Women;
- B-XF2527 - World Trade Organization (WTO).
Specialized Agencies (14):
- B-XB0971 - FAO;
- B-XB1505 - International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO);
- F-XF1721 - International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD);
- B-XB2183 - ILO;
- F-XF2266 - International Monetary Fund (IMF);
- B-XB1117 - International Maritime Organization (IMO);
- B-XB2622 - International Telecommunication Union (ITU);
- B-XB3383 - UNESCO;
- B-XE3386 - UNIDO;
- B-XB2745 - World Tourism Organization (UNWTO);
- B-XB3408 - Universal Postal Union (UPU);
- B-XB3548 - WHO;
- B-XB3635 - World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO);
- B-XB3556 - World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
World Bank Group (5):
- F-XF1393 - International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD);
- B-XB1791 - International Development Association (IDA);
- F-XF2057 - International Finance Corporation (IFC);
- F-XF1090 - Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA);
- E-XB1476 - International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Consultative StatusAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.