African Union (AU)
Union africaine (UA)
2001-07-08 Lusaka Zambia
8 Jul 2001, Lusaka (Zambia), on signature by African Heads of State of a treaty dissolving H-XD3027 - OAU and setting up the new organization over a one-year transition period. Constitutive Act signed 11 Jul 2001, Lusaka, came into force 28 Jun 2002. Heads of State and Government meeting/inaugural session of the Assembly, 10 Jul 2002, Durban (South Africa), adopted African Union Durban Declaration. Establishment is based on a suggestion in 1999, Sirte (Libyan AJ), by General Moammar Gaddafi, head of Libyan AJ.
Achieve greater unity and solidarity among African countries and the peoples of Africa; defend the sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence of member states; accelerate political and socio-economic integration of the continent; promote and defend African common positions on issues of interest to the continent and its peoples; encourage international cooperation, taking account of the Charter of the United Nations and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; promote peace, security and stability on the continent; promote democratic principles and institutions, popular participation, the rule of law and and good governance; promote and protect human and peoples' rights in accordance with the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights and other relevant instruments; establish the conditions necessary for the continent to play its rightful role in the global economy and in international negotiations; promote sustainable development on economic, social and cultural levels and the integration of African economies; promote cooperation in all fields of human activity so as to raise living standards of African peoples; coordinate and harmonize policies among existing and future regional economic communities leading to gradual attainment of the Union's objectives; advance the development of the continent by promoting research in all fields, in particular in science and technology; work with relevant international partners in the eradication of preventable diseases and the promotion of good health on the continent.
Events298 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Assembly of Heads of State and Government; Executive Council; Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC); Peace and Security Council (PSC); Specialised Technical Committees; AU Commission; E-XK2193 - New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) / AU Development Agency; AU Foundation; Financial Institutions; Judicial, Human Rights and Legal Organs; F-XF6545 - Pan-African Parliament (PAP); Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC); African Peer Review Mechanism; Regional Economic Communities (RECs); Specialised Agencies and Institutions.
Specialised Technical Committees (13):
Finance, Monetary Affairs, Economic Planning and Integration; Social Development, Labour and Employment; Health, Population and Drug Control; Justice and Legal Affairs; Youth, Culture and Sports; Public Service, Local Government, Urban Development and Decentralisation; Communication and Information Communications Technology; Defence, Safety and Security; Agriculture, Rural Development, Water and Environment; Education, Science and Technology; Gender and Women's Empowerment; Migration, Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs); Migration, Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
Judicial, Human Rights and Legal Organs (6): E-XE0982 - African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (ACHPR); F-XF6450 - African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights (AfCHPR); Extraordinary African Chambers (EAC); African Union Commission on International Law (AUCIL); AU Advisory Board on Corruption; E-XJ5076 - African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC).
Regional Economic Communities (8) aim to faciliate regional economic integration, through F-XF2245 - African Economic Community (AEC): F-XF1048 - Arab Maghreb Union (AMU); F-XF3162 - Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA); D-XD7706 - Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD); F-XD6196 - East African Community (EAC); D-XD4308 - Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS); F-XD3462 - Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS); F-XF4199 - Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD); F-XF2522 - Southern African Development Community (SADC).
Specialised Agencies and Institutions:
- -Education, Human Resources, Science and Technology Bodies: J-XJ5471 - Pan African University (PAU); Pan African Institute for Education for Development (IPED) / African Observatory for Education; E-XJ0959 - Centre international pour l'éducation des filles et des femmes en Afrique de l'Union Africaine (UA/CIEFFA); E-XE3028 - African Union Scientific Technical Research Commission (AU STRC), including J-XM8545 - Pan-African Intellectual Property Organisation (PAIPO); E-XM8543 - African Scientific Technical and Research Innovation Council (ASRIC); F-XM8542 - African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI).
- -Gender Development: Fund for African Women.
- -Economic Bodies: Pan-African Institute for Statistics (STATAFRIC); Pan African Training Centre on Statistics.
- -Energy and Infrastructure Bodies: D-XD0017 - African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC); D-XD4373 - African Airlines Association (AFRAA); D-XD6386 - African Telecommunications Union (ATU); D-XD4305 - Pan African Postal Union (PAPU); E-XJ2251 - African Energy Commission (AFREC); E-XD8052 - African Commission on Nuclear Energy (AFCONE); J-XM8541 - African Minerals Development Centre (AMDC).
- -Rural Economy and Agricultural Bodies: E-XE3867 - Interafrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR); E-XE3869 - Inter-African Phytosanitary Council (AU-IAPSC); E-XE2407 - Semi-Arid Food Grain Research and Development (AU SAFGRAD); E-XU2652 - Pan African Veterinary Vaccine Center of the African Union (AU-PANVAC); Pan African Tsetse and Trypanosomiasis Eradication Campaign (PATTEC); Fouta Djallon Highlands Programme AU Coordination Office; E-XM6954 - African Risk Capacity Agency (ARC).
- -Security Bodies: E-XM8549 - Committee of Intelligence and Security Service of Africa (CISSA); E-XM8550 - African Center for the Study and Research on Terrorism (ACSRT); F-XM8544 - African Union Mechanism for Police Cooperation (AFRIPOL).
- -Social Affairs Bodies: E-XM7710 - Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC); E-XE8288 - Centre for Linguistic and Historical Studies by Oral Tradition; D-XM2921 - African Academy of Languages (ACALAN); J-XM8547 - African Institute for Remittances (AIR); J-XM8540 - African Union Sports Council (AUSC); African Audiovisual and Cinema Commission (AACC).
- -Other Bodies: F-XF3152 - The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF); D-XD0399 - Pan African Women's Organization (PAWO).
Also includes: J-XM8548 - African Medicines Agency; J-XM8546 - African Space Agency (AfSA). AfCHPR and F-XJ0151 - Court of Justice of the African Union will be merged to become J-XM8539 - African Court of Justice and Human Rights.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.