International Hydrographic Organization (IHO)
Organisation hydrographique internationale (OHI)
Organización Hidrografica Internacional
1919-06 London UK
Established Jun 1919, London (UK), as International Hydrographic Bureau (IHB) -- Bureau hydrographique international, at International Hydrographic Conference, following conferences held in 1899, Washington DC (USA), and 1908 and 1912, St Petersburg (Russia). Activities commenced in Jun 1921. Current legal status and name adopted 22 Sep 1970, on entry into force of an intergovernmental convention whose official custodian is the Government of the Principality of Monaco. Statutes registered in 'UNTS 1/10764'.
Ensure that all the world's seas, oceans and navigable waters are surveyed and charted.
Events106 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
International Hydrographic Conference -- Conférence hydrographique internationale (every 5 years, in Monaco); International Hydrographic Bureau (IHB) -- Bureau hydrographique international (BHI); Directing Committee; Permanent headquarters in Monaco. Meetings open to observers by invitation only. Committees and Working Groups, including: E-XE1593 - Joint IOC/IHO Guiding Committee for the General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO). Regional Hydrographic Commissions (16):
- E-XJ5154 - Arctic Regional Hydrographic Commission (ARHC);
- K-XE5548 - Baltic Sea Hydrographic Commission (BSHC);
- K-XE1203 - East Asia Hydrographic Commission (EAHC);
- K-XE1470 - Eastern Atlantic Hydrographic Commission (EAtHC);
- K-XK2339 - Hydrographic Commission on Antarctica (HCA);
- K-XE5549 - Mediterranean and Black Seas Hydrographic Commission (MBSHC);
- K-XK0631 - Meso-American-Caribbean Sea Hydrographic Commission (MACHC);
- K-XD3923 - North Sea Hydrographic Commission (NSHC);
- K-XE0904 - Nordic Hydrographic Commission (NHC);
- K-XK2293 - North Indian Ocean Hydrographic Commission (NIOHC);
- E-XJ5156 - ROPME Sea Area Hydrographic Commission (RSAHC);
- K-XK0188 - South East Pacific Hydrographic Commission (SEPHC);
- K-XK1501 - Southern African and Islands Hydrographic Commission (SAIHC);
- K-XM3511 - South West Atlantic Hydrographic Commission (SWAtHC);
- K-XK1253 - South West Pacific Hydrographic Commission (SWPHC);
- K-XK0078 - US/Canada Hydrographic Commission (US/CHC).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.