Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO)
Organisation arabe pour l'éducation, la culture et la science
Organización Arabe para la Educación, la Cultura y la Ciencia
المنظّمة العربيّة للتّربية والثّقافة والعلوم
Contact DetailsAvailable with paid subscription only.
1964-05-25 Cairo Egypt
Established when Charter was approved by the Council of D-XD2903 - League of Arab States (LAS), at its 41st Session. Officially established under Article 3 of the Charter for Arab Cultural Unity; creation officially announced 25 Jul 1970, Cairo (Egypt).
Empower intellectual unity between Arab countries through education, culture and science; enhance the level of culture in the region in order to keep up with and contribute to universal civilization.
Events23 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
/Constitutional Structure/: General Conference (every 2 years), consists of 5 representatives per member state, headed by Minister with responsibility for each state's national commission to ALECSO (usually the Minister of Education). Executive Board (meeting twice a year), comprises one representative from each member state, plus Chairman of General Conference as consultant; meetings may be attended by an aide of the Director General. /Executive Structure/: Director General; Deputy Director General.
/Technical and Administrative Structure/:
1. 'Programme Supporting Services', all in Tunis (Tunisia):
- Secretariat of Executive Board and General Conference, headed by Secretary General;
- Office of the Director General;
- Department of Administrative and Financial Affairs;
- Department of Communication and Information (including Farabi Data Bank, ALECSO Printing Press and Publication, Distribution Unit and Central Library);
- Department of Culture;
- Department of Education;
- Department of Science and Scientific Research.
2. 'ALECSO Affiliate External Bodies':
- E-XE2035 - Arab Centre for Arabization, Translation, Authorship and Publication (ACATAP), Damascus (Syrian AR);
- E-XE9545 - Arabization Coordination Bureau, Rabat (Morocco);
- H-XE5352 - Institute of Arab Manuscripts, Cairo (Egypt);
- H-XE8045 - Institute of Arab Research and Studies, Cairo (Egypt);
- H-XE9557 - Khartoum International Institute for the Arabic Language, Khartoum (Sudan).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.