CGIAR System Organization (CGIAR)
1971-05 Washington DC USA
Established May 1971, Washington DC (USA), as an informal network of public and private entities. Original title: Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) -- Groupe consultatif pour la recherche agricole internationale -- Grupo Consultivo sobre Investigación Agricola Internacional. Reformed 2008, when adopted title Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers (CGIAR), but acronym was retained as a title. First a contractual joint venture set up by the 15 Research Centers, but Agreement Establishing the Consortium as an independent international organization entered into force, 29 Apr 2010. Governance structure revised and current name adopted, 1 Jul 2016.
Advance agri-food science and innovation to enable poor people, especially poor women, to increase agricultural productivity and resilience, share in economic growth, better feed themselves and their families, and conserve natural resources in the face of climate change and other threats.
Events47 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Council; Board; System Organization Management Office. Research Centers (15):
- D-XD4477 - Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice), Cotonou (Benin);
- E-XE4637 - International Centre for Tropical Agriculture, Cali (Colombia);
- E-XE3089 - Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Bogor (Indonesia);
- E-XE0270 - International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, El Batan (Mexico);
- E-XE4103 - International Potato Center, Lima (Peru);
- E-XE5928 - International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA), Aleppo (Syrian AR);
- E-XE4115 - International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Patancheru (India);
- E-XE6331 - International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington DC (USA);
- E-XE4109 - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan (Nigeria);
- E-XE3150 - Bioversity International, Rome (Italy);
- E-XE2297 - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Nairobi (Kenya);
- E-XE2417 - International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños (Philippines);
- E-XE0387 - International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Colombo (Sri Lanka);
- E-XD6784 - World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Nairobi (Kenya);
- E-XE5021 - WorldFish Center, Penang (Malaysia).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.