Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
Communauté économique des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest (CEDEAO)
Comunidad Economica de los Estados de Africa Occidental
Search Open Yearbook
This information is part of the Open Yearbook, a free service of UIA's subscription-based Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO). It includes profiles of non-profit organizations working worldwide in all fields of activity. The information contained in the profiles and search functionality of this free service are limited.
The full-featured Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO) includes over 72,500 organization profiles, additional information in the profiles, sophisticated search functionality and data export. For more information about YBIO, please click here or contact us.
The UIA is a leading provider of information about international non-profit organizations. The aim of the Open Yearbook is to promote the activities of international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) and intergovernmental organizations (IGOs).
Contact DetailsMore detailed data available with paid subscription.
1975-05-28 Lagos Nigeria
Established 28 May 1975, Lagos (Nigeria), on signature of Treaty of Lagos by Heads of State of 15 West African countries; outstanding technical protocols signed Nov 1976. Cape Verde joined in 1977. Mauritania withdrew membership, 1 jan 2001. Protocol on Mutual Assistance in Defence Matters adopted 1981. May 1990, Banjul (Gambia), agreed to rationalize subregional institutions in West Africa within the framework of ECOWAS so that ECOWAS would eventually become the sole economic community of the West African region. Statutes registered in 'UNTS 1/14843'.
Promote cooperation and integration among member States leading to the establishment of an economic union in West Africa in order to to raise the living standard of its peoples and maintain and enhance the economic stability, foster relations among member States and contribute to the progress and development of the African continent.
Events161 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
- Executive arm comprises: 'Authority of Heads and State and Government' (meets annually); 'Council of Ministers' (meets twice a year); ECOWAS Commission (formerly Executive Secretariat).
- Legislative arm: F-XJ4106 - Parliament of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS Parliament), also referred to as 'Community Parliament';
- Judicial arm: F-XF7200 - Community Court of Justice.
- F-XF6592 - ECOWAS Bank for Investment and Development (EBID);
- F-XJ4048 - Intergovernmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa;
- E-XE5978 - West African Health Organization (WAHO).
- ECOWAS Brown Card Scheme;
- E-XM4409 - ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE);
- ECOWAS Gender Development Centre;
- ECOWAS Infrastructure Projects preparation and Development Unit (PPDU);
- E-XJ4542 - ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERERA);
- ECOWAS Youth and Sports Development Centre;
- Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF);
- F-XF5070 - West African Monetary Agency (WAMA);
- E-XE4257 - West African Monetary Institute (WAMI);
- F-XM2992 - West African Power Pool (WAPP).
Specialized Technical Commissions.
A second monetary zone, the
F-XF6262 - West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ) for the non-UEMOA Member States was initiated in 2000 to accelerate and complement ECOWAS efforts in creating a single West Africa-wide currency.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.