Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
Organisation de la Coopération Islamique (OCI)
Organización de Cooperación Islamico
منظمة التعاون الإسلامي
Search Open Yearbook
This information is part of the Open Yearbook, a free service of UIA's subscription-based Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO). It includes profiles of non-profit organizations working worldwide in all fields of activity. The information contained in the profiles and search functionality of this free service are limited.
The full-featured Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO) includes over 72,500 organization profiles, additional information in the profiles, sophisticated search functionality and data export. For more information about YBIO, please click here or contact us.
The UIA is a leading provider of information about international non-profit organizations. The aim of the Open Yearbook is to promote the activities of international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) and intergovernmental organizations (IGOs).
1969-09-25 Rabat Morocco
Established at first Conference of Kings and Heads of State and Government (Islamic Summit Conference).
General Secretariat established at 1st Conference of Islamic Foreign Ministers, 23-25 Mar 1970, Jeddah (Saudi Arabia); commenced operations May 1971, Jeddah.
OIC Charter approved by 3rd Session of the Foreign Ministers' Conference, Mar 1972, Jeddah. Present Charter adopted at 11th Islamic Summit, 13-14 Mar 2008, Dakar (Senegal).
In accordance with OIC Charter: Enhance and consolidate bonds of fraternity and solidarity among member states; safeguard and protect common interests and support legitimate causes of member states and coordinate and unify their efforts in view of the challenges faced by the Islamic world in particular and the international community in general; respect the right of self-determination and non-interference in domestic affairs and respect sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of each member state; ensure active participation of member states in global political, economic and social decision-making processes to secure common interests; reaffirm support for rights of peoples as stipulated in the UN Charter and international law; strengthen intra-Islamic economic and trade cooperation so as to achieve economic integration leading to establishment of an Islamic Common Market; exert efforts to achieve sustainable and comprehensive human development and economic well-being in member states; protect and defend the true image of Islam to combat defamation of Islam and encourage dialogue among civilizations and religions; enhance and develop science and technology, and encourage research and cooperation among member states.
Events137 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
- F-XF4974 - Islamic Summit of Kings and Heads of States and Governments (every 3 years), also known as Islamic Summit Conference;
- K-XF4192 - Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM) (annual);
- Standing Committees (4) - chaired by Kings and Heads of State and Government and set up in accordance with decisions of the Summit or on recommendation of the Council of Foreign Ministers:
- E-XE8294 - Al-Quds Committee;
- K-XE1032 - Standing Committee for Information and Cultural Affairs (COMIAC);
- E-XE1033 - Standing Committee for Economic and Commercial Cooperation (COMCEC);
- E-XE5993 - OIC Ministerial Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH).
- Executive Committee, comprising Chairmen of current, preceding and succeeding Islamic Summits and Councils of Foreign Ministers, host country of Headquarters of the General Secretariat plus Secretary-General (ex-officio);
- F-XF0962 - International Islamic Court of Justice;
- Independent Permanent Human Rights Commission;
- Committee of Permanent Representatives;
- General Secretariat.
II. Subsidiary Organs:
- E-XE8148 - Statistical, Economic and Social Research and Training Centre for Islamic Countries (SESRIC);
- E-XE1000 - Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture (IRCICA);
- E-XE3961 - Islamic University of Technology (IUT);
- E-XE0681 - Islamic Centre for Development of Trade (ICDT);
- E-XE5955 - International Islamic Fiqh Academy (IIFA);
- F-XF9010 - Islamic Solidarity Fund (ISF).
III. Specialized Institutions:
- F-XF4542 - Islamic Development Bank (IsDB);
- C-XD8574 - Islamic World Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ICESCO);
- C-XD8624 - Islamic Broadcasting Union (IBU);
- F-XF4325 - Union of OIC News AGencies (UNA);
- E-XE2848 - Islamic Commission for Economic, Cultural and Social Affairs (ICECSA);
- Science Technology and Innovation Organization (STIO);
- Islamic Organization for Food Security (IOFS).
IV. Affiliated Institutions:
- F-XF0345 - Islamic Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (ICCIA);
- E-XE1395 - Organization of Islamic Capitals and Cities (OICC);
- C-XD2655 - Organization of the Islamic Shipowners' Association (OISA);
- E-XE0695 - Islamic Committee for International Crescent (ICIC);
- E-XE1322 - Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation (ISSF);
- H-XD1577 - World Federation of Arab-Islamic International Schools;
- F-XM2762 - Islamic Conference Youth Forum for Dialogue and Cooperation (ICYF-DC);
- H-XD3229 - International Union of Muslim Scouts (IUMS);
- E-XM2761 - General Council for Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions (CIBAFI);
- E-XE0864 - Federation of Consultants from Islamic Countries (FCIC);
- F-XF2129 - Islamic World Academy of Sciences (IAS);
- OIC Computer Emergency Response Team (OIC-CERT);
- E-XM6810 - The Standards and Metrology Institute for Islamic Countries (SMIIC);
- F-XF5213 - Islamic University in Niger;
- F-XF5214 - Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU);
- F-XF0283 - International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM);
- OIC Media Forum (OMF);
- OIC Broadcasting Regulatory Authorities Forum (IBRAF).
V. Proposed Organization:
- U-XE1031 - Islamic Civil Aviation Council (ICAC);
- H-XF2155 - Islamic States Telecommunications Union (ISTU).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.