Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)
Mouvement des pays non alignés
Movimiento de Paises No Alineados (MNOAL)
Contact DetailsMore detailed data available with paid subscription.
1961 Belgrade Yugoslavia
1961, Belgrade (Yugoslavia). Sometimes referred to as Movement of Non-Aligned Countries.
Reaffirm and attach special importance to the following principles: right of the peoples who are not yet free to freedom, self-determination and independence; respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity of all states; the right of all states to equality and active participation in international affairs; the right of all sovereign nations to determine in full freedom the path of their internal political, economic, social and cultural development; the right of all peoples to the benefits of economic development and the fruits of the scientific and technological revolution; refraining from the threat or use of force; the principle of peaceful settlement of disputes. 'Basic aims of non-alignment': the pursuit of world peace and peaceful coexistence by strengthening the role of non-aligned countries within the United Nations so that it will be a more effective obstacle against all forms of aggressive action and the threat of the use of force against the freedom, independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of any country; the fight against colonialism and racism which are a negation of human equality and dignity; the settlement of disputes by peaceful means; the ending of the arms race followed by universal disarmament; opposition to Great Power military bases and other foreign troops on the soil of other nations in the context of Great Power conflicts and colonial and racist suppression; the universality of and the stating of strengthening of the efficacy of the United Nations; the struggle for economic and mutual cooperation on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
Events33 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Highest Authority is S-XS0033 - Conference of Heads of State or Government of Non-Aligned Countries. Chairman of the Non-Aligned Movement (Colombia for 1995-1998) is assisted by: Advisory Council; team of economic experts; Ambassadors-at-Large (4) for 4 regions (Africa, America, Europe, Asia and Middle East); Office of the Executive Assistant to the NAM Chairman; Technical Committee attached to the latter Office.
- S-XS2337 - Conference of Foreign Ministers of Non-Aligned Countries;
- S-XS3398 - Conference of the Information Ministers of Non-Aligned Countries (COMINAC);
- S-XS0234 - Ministerial Meeting of the Mediterranean Non-Aligned Countries.
"Working Mechanism" consisting of:
- E-XC2507 - Coordinating Bureau of the Non-Aligned Countries, normally meeting at United Nations Headquarters, New York NY (USA).
The Bureau coordinates joint activities aimed at implementing decisions and programmes adopted at Summit Conferences, Ministerial Conferences and other gatherings;
- U-XK1153 - Standing Ministerial Committee for Economic Cooperation of the Non-Aligned Movement (SMC);
- U-XK1154 - Non-Aligned Movement Committee of Ministers on Imposition of Sanctions;
- U-XE0915 - Non-Aligned Movement Ministerial Committee on Methodology;
- Open-ended Working Group of the Coordinating Bureau of the NAM for the Restructuring of the United Nations, including 5 Working Groups on specific issues and 5 Working/Drafting Groups to prepare NAM countries to participate in discussions on issues to be addressed by various Working Groups in the UN General Assembly;
- U-XK1014 - Non-Aligned Committee of Nine on Palestine;
- Contact Group on Cyprus;
- Task Force on Somalia;
- Task Force on Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- U-XK1613 - Centre for the Exchange of Information and Technology on Traditional Medicine;
- U-XK0694 - Group for South-South Consultation and Cooperation;
- H-XF1954 - Non-aligned Countries Ad Hoc Group for the Solidarity Fund for Economic and Social Development, coordinating U-XF5956 - Solidarity Fund for Economic and Social Development in the Non-aligned Countries.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.