United Nations University (UNU)
Université des Nations Unies (UNU)
Universidad de las Naciones Unidas
Search Open Yearbook
This information is part of the Open Yearbook, a free service of UIA's subscription-based Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO). It includes profiles of non-profit organizations working worldwide in all fields of activity. The information contained in the profiles and search functionality of this free service are limited.
The full-featured Yearbook of International Organizations (YBIO) includes over 72,500 organization profiles, additional information in the profiles, sophisticated search functionality and data export. For more information about YBIO, please click here or contact us.
The UIA is a leading provider of information about international non-profit organizations. The aim of the Open Yearbook is to promote the activities of international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) and intergovernmental organizations (IGOs).
Established by resolution 3081 (XXVIII) of the General Assembly of the United Nations, approving the Charter of the University. Originally proposed in 1969 by UN Secretary-General U Thant (1909-1974). Commenced operations Sep 1975. An organ of A-XA3375 - United Nations (UN) in the framework of F-XF1000 - United Nations System, linked to the General Assembly and to E-XE3377 - ECOSOC.
Contribute, through collaborative research and education, to efforts to resolve pressing global problems of human survival, development and welfare that are the concern of the UN, its Peoples and Member States.
Events436 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Council composed of 13 appointed members ( serving a 3-year term, in an individual capacity), 3 ex-officio members (UN Secretary-General, UNESCO Director-General and UNITAR Executive Director) and UNU Rector. Rector, based at UNU Headquarters in Tokyo (Japan), assisted by 2 Vice-Rectors at headquarters and one Vice-Rector, based in Bonn (Germany). Liaison offices: UN Secretariat - New York NY (USA); UNESCO - Paris (France). Institutes and programmes (13), coordinated by UNU Centre:
- E-XJ6120 - UNU Institute on Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS), Bruges (Belgium), set up 2011;
- E-XM1096 - United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS), Bonn (Germany), set up 2003;
- K-XJ6121 - UNU Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES), Dresden (Germany), set up 2012;
- E-XJ8613 - United Nations University Institute on Globalization, Culture and Mobility (UNU-GCM), Barcelona (Spain), set up 2012;
- E-XJ8611 - United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS), Tokyo (Japan), set up 2014;
- E-XM3373 - UNU International Institute for Global Health (UNI-IIGH), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), set up 2007;
- E-XE3096 - United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS), Macau, set up 1992;
- E-XE5942 - UNU Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA), Accra (Ghana), set up 1990;
- K-XK1355 - United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment and Health (UNU-INWEH), Hamilton (Canada), set up 1996;
- E-XE3003 - United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT), Maastricht (Netherlands), set up 1990;
- E-XE2758 - UNU World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), Helsinki (Finland), set up 1985;
- K-XK1083 - UNU Programme for Biotechnology in Latin America and the Caribbean (UNU/BIOLAC), Caracas (Venezuela), commenced 1988;
- Iceland-Based Programme, consisting of 4 components: UNU Fisheries Training Programme (UNU-FTP); UNU Geothermal Training Programme (UNU-GTP); UNU Land Restoration Training Programme (UNU-LRT); UNU Gender Equality Studies and Training Programme (UNU-GEST).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.