United Nations Special Committee on Peace-keeping Operations
Comité spécial des opérations de maintien de la paix
Contact DetailsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Review comprehensively issues relating to peacekeeping and report on findings to UN General Assembly.Available with paid subscription only.
UN methods and machinery for preventing or controlling conflicts have taken many forms - peace-keeping forces, observer missions, fact-finding missions, supervision of plebiscites, missions of good offices, conciliation panels, mediators and special representatives. Current operations (16):
• United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) (Sep 1991 - present);
• United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) (15 Sep 2014 - present);
• United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) (Apr 2013 - present);
• United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) (June 2004 - present);
• United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) (Feb 2000 - present);
• African Union/United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) (July 2007 - present);
• United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) (June 1974 - present);
• United Nations Peace-keeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) (Mar 1964 - present);
• United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) (June 2011 - present);
• UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) (June 1999 - present);
• United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) (Sep 2003 - present);
• United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS) (July 2011 - present);
• United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) (Jan 1949 - present);
• United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) (June 1948 - present).
Past peacekeeping operations:
• United Nations Angola Verification Mission (UNAVEM) (UNAVEM I: Jan 1989 - May 1991, UNAVEM II: May 1991 - Feb 1995, UNAVEM III: Feb 1995 - June 1997);
• United Nations Aouzou Strip Observer Group (UNASOG) (May 1994 - June 1994);
• United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR) (Oct 1993 - Mar 1996);
• United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) (June 2000 - July 2008);
• United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) (Oct 1999 - Dec 2005), replacing United Nations Mission of Observers in Sierra Leone (UNOMSIL) (July 1998 - Oct 1999);
• United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic (MINURCA) (Apr 1998 - Feb 2000);
• United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT) (Sep 2007 - Dec 2010);
• United Nations Observer Mission in Angola (MONUA) (July 1997 - Feb 1999);
• United Nations Observation Mission in Liberia (UNOMIL) (Sep 1993 - Sep 1997);
• United Nations Observer Mission in Uganda-Rwanda (UNOMUR) (June 1993 - Sep 1994);
• United Nations Operation in Burundi (ONUB) (May 2004 - Dec 2006) and succeeded by United Nations Integrated Office in Burundi (BINUB) (2006-2014);
• United Nations Operation in Mozambique (UNOMOZ) (Dec 1992 - Dec 1994);
• United Nations Operation in Somalia (UNOSOM) (UNOSOM I: Apr 1992 - Mar 1993, UNOSOM II: May 1993 - Mar 1995);
• United Nations Mission in the Sudan (UNMIS) (Mar 2005 to present);
• United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) (July 1960 - June 1964);
• United Nations Transition Assistance Group (UNTAG) (Apr 1989 - Mar 1990).
• Mission of the Representative of the Secretary-General in the Dominican Republic (DOMREP) (May 1965 - Oct 1966);
• United Nations Civilian Police Mission in Haiti (MIPONUH) (28 Nov 1997 - Mar 2000), replacing United Nations Transition Mission in Haiti (UNTMIH) (Aug 1997 - Nov 1997), which replaced United Nations Support Mission in Haiti (UNSMIH) (July 1996 - July 1997);
• United Nations Mission in Haiti (UNMIH) (Sep 1993 - June 1996);
• United Nations Observer Group in Central America (ONUCA) (Nov 1989 - Jan 1992);
• United Nations Observer Mission in El Salvador (ONUSAL) (July 1991 - Apr 1995);
• United Nations Verification Mission in Guatemala (MINUGUA) (Jan 1997- May 1997).
'Asia and the Pacific':
• United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) (Mar 1992 - Sep 1993), absorbing United Nations Advance Mission in Cambodia (UNAMIC) (Oct 1991 - Mar 1992);
• United Nations Good Offices Mission in Afghanistan and Pakistan (UNGOMAP) (Apr 1988 - Mar 1990);
• United Nations India-Pakistan Observation Mission (UNIPOM) (Sep 1965 - Mar 1966);
• United Nations Mission of Observers in Tajikistan (UNMOT) (Dec 1994 - May 2000);
• United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) (Aug 2006 to 31 Dec 2012), replacing United Nations Mission of Support in East Timor (UNMISET) (May 2002 - May 2005), which replaced United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) (Oct 1999 - May 2002) and United Nations Mission in East Timor (UNAMET) (June 1999 - Sep 1999);
• United Nations Security Force in West New Guinea - West Irian (UNSF) (Oct 1962 - Apr 1963).
• United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) (Feb 1992 - Dec 1995), from 31 Mar 1995 including United Nations Confidence Restoration Operation in Croatia (UNCRO) (Mar 1995 - Jan 1996) and United Nations Preventive Deployment Force for Macedonia (UNPREDEP) (Mar 1995 - Feb 1990); subsequently followed up by: United Nations Mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina (UNMIBH) (Dec 1995 - Dec 2002); United Nations Transitional Administration for Eastern Slavonia, Baranja and Western Sirmium (UNTAES) (Jan 1996 - Jan 1998), Croatia - United Nations Civilian Police Support Group (UNPSG) (Jan 1998 - Oct 1998) and United Nations Mission of Observers in Prevlaka (UNMOP) (Jan 1996 - Dec 2002);
• United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia (UNOMIG) (Aug 1993 - June 2009).
• United Nations Emergency Force (UNEF) (UNEF I: Nov 1956 - June 1967, UNEF II: Oct 1973 - July 1979);
• United Nations Iran-Iraq Military Observer Group (UNIIMOG) (Aug 1988 - Feb 1991);
• United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) (Apr 1991 - Mar 2003);
• United Nations Observation Group in Lebanon (UNOGIL) (June 1958 - Dec 1958);
• United Nations Yemen Observation Mission (UNYOM) (July 1963 - Sep 1964);
• United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) (Apr 2012 - Aug 2012).
Civilian component is jointly referred to as United Nations Police (UNPOL).
Relations with Inter-Governmental Organizations
Relations with 1 inter-governmental organizations.
More detailed data available with paid subscription.
Members in 155 countries
More detailed data available with paid subscription.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
- International Relations
- United Nations
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
Last News Received
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.