Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Fonds pour l'environnement mondial (FEM)
1991, by Resolution 91-5 of the Executive Directors of the World Bank, as a 3-year pilot programme. Restructured and replenished, 16 Mar 1994, following agreement among GEF participants and requests from H-XF2785 - Global Action Plan for Environment and Development in the 21st Century (Agenda 21), T-XT9210 - United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and T-XT9211 - Convention on Biological Diversity (Biodiversity convention). Original implementing agencies: F-XF1393 - International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD); E-XE3382 - UNDP - through K-XK2329 - Energy and Environment Group; E-XE4161 - UN Environment; K-XK0741 - WMO Resource Mobilization Office (RMO). In 1999, other agencies were invited to execute GEF projects.
Forge international cooperation and finance activities to address 6 critical threats to the global environment: loss of biodiversity; climate change; degradation of international waters; ozone depletion; land degradation; persistent organic pollutants.
Events85 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Assembly (every 3-4 years) composed of all member countries or Participants. Council, comprising 32 members (14 from developed countries, 16 from developing countries and 2 from economies in transition). Secretariat, headed by CEO-Chairperson. Independent Evaluation Office (GEF IEO); Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP). Agencies are operational arm of GEF:
- F-XF0077 - Asian Development Bank (ADB);
- F-XF0018 - African Development Bank (ADB);
- F-XF2441 - European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD);
- B-XB0971 - FAO;
- F-XF1721 - International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD);
- F-XF1069 - Inter-American Development Bank (IDB);
- E-XE3382 - UNDP;
- E-XE4161 - UN Environment;
- B-XE3386 - UNIDO;
- F-XF6841 - The World Bank Group;
- G-XF1397 - Conservation International (CI);
- F-XF0409 - Development Bank of Latin America (CAF);
- G-XG3375 - Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA);
- Foreign Economic Cooperation Office - Ministry of Environmental Protection of China (FECO);
- Brazilian Biodiversity Fund (FUNBIO);
- A-XA2654 - International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN);
- F-XF4540 - Banque ouest africaine de développement (BOAD);
- World Wildlife Fund-US.
Focal Points: political; operational. Conflict Resolution Commissioner.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.