Society of Jesus (SJ)
Compagnie de Jésus (Jésuites)
Compañia de Jesús (Jesuitas)
Compagnia di Gesù (Gesuiti)
Societas Jesu (SI)
1540-09-27 Rome Italy
27 Sep 1540, Rome (Italy), when formally approved by Paul III. Initially established by St Ignatius of Loyola and his first 'companions'. Suppressed by Clement XIV, 21 Jul 1773, because of the intense pressure of its secular adversaries. Restored, 7 August 1814, by Pius VII. A Catholic order of regular clerics. Also referred to in English as Jesuits.
Promote both secular and spiritual education; establish and promote missions; provide spiritual retreats; promote and support publication of books and periodicals.
Events1 past events available with paid subscription only.
General Congregation (always in Rome, Italy). Father General; Secretariat General; General Council. Geographical Assistancies: West Europe; East Europe; Central U-XF6826 - Jesuit Conference of South Europe; Europe; USA; Southern Latin America; Northern Latin America; Africa. K-XK0695 - Social Justice Secretariat; E-XK0348 - Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS). Secretariats for: Interreligious Dialogue; Education; Communication; Christian Life Communities; Ignatian Spirituality; Higher Education. Apostolate of Prayer and Eucharistic Youth Movement. Press and Information Office.
Other bodies set up in the Jesuit framework include:
- F-XE1551 - Jesuit Conference of European Provincials (JCEP);
- D-XN8468 - International Association of Jesuit Business Schools (IAJBS);
- F-XF0978 - Jesuit European Volunteers (JEV);
- E-XE4337 - European Jesuits in Social Sciences (EUROJESS);
- G-XG0620 - INTERMON OXFAM;
- G-XG7001 - Jesuit International Ministries;
- G-XN7451 - Jesuit Missions;
- G-XN2339 - Jesuit Volunteers International (JVI);
- U-XJ5538 - Ligue internationale des études de l'interférence civilisationnelle, Bremen;
- F-XF6824 - Jesuit Conference of Africa and Madagascar (JCAM);
- F-XF6825 - Conferencia de Provinciales Jesuitas de América Latina y El Caribe (CPAL);
- Jesuit Conference - United States of America Assistancy;
- F-XF6823 - Jesuit Conference of South Asia (JCSA);
- F-XF0725 - Jesuit Conference of Asia Pacific (JCAP);
- F-XJ3992 - African Jesuit AIDS Network (AJAN).
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.