European Central Bank (ECB)
Banque centrale européenne (BCE)
Europäische Zentralbank (EZB)
RSS Feed: https://www.ecb.europa.eu/rss
Established on approval by E-XE3068 - Council of the European Union, in accordance with T-XT9113 - Treaty on European Union (Maastricht Treaty), signed 7 Feb 1992. ECB Statutes, which are annexed as a Protocol to the Maastricht Treaty, were drawn up by H-XE7137 - Committee of Governors of the Central Banks of the Member States of the European Economic Community before its dissolution. Functions as an integral part of the H-XF0662 - European Communities (EC), the first "pillar" of the F-XF2147 - European Union (EU) and, together with national central banks, constitutes the F-XF2712 - European System of Central Banks (ESCB), which was also established on 1 Jun 1998 in the context of the third stage of F-XF4335 - European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU). Located in Frankfurt-Main (Germany), ECB assumed responsibility for monetary policy in the euro area on 1 Jan 1999. It replaces H-XF2874 - European Monetary Institute (EMI), established 1 Jan 1994, which prepared a regulatory, organizational and logistic framework for the ESCB to perform its tasks in the third stage of EMU. Became responsible for the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM), 1 Nov 2014.
Maintain price stability in the euro area.
Events42 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
- 'Governing Council' comprises all 6 members of the Executive Board and governors of National Central Banks (NCBs) without derogation, that participate fully in Monetary Union as part of the euro area.
- 'Executive Board' comprises President, Vice-President and 4 members, appointed by the European Council.
- 'General Council' comprises ECB President, ECB Vice-President and the governors of National Central Banks of all EU countries, whether or not participating in Monetary Union. As a transitional body, it will be dissolved once all EU Member States have introduced the single currency.
- 'Supervisory Board' comprises Chair, Vice-Chair, 4 ECB representatives and representatives of national supervisors.
F-XF0668 - Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) is competent to settle any disputes.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.