International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS)
Union internationale des sociétés de microbiologie (UISM)
Unión Internacional de las Sociedades de Microbiologia
Internationale Vereinigung der Mikrobiologischen Gesellschaften
Founded 1927, as International Society for Microbiology -- Société internationale de microbiologie. 1st International Congress of Microbiology held in 1930, Paris (France). Subsequently known as International Association of Microbiological Societies (IAMS) -- Association internationale des sociétés de microbiologie (AISM). In 1953 assumed the activities of H-XH1899 - International Federation of Culture Collection of Microbic Types (IFCC), set up 1947, by taking over the functions of H-XH0257 - Centre of Collections of Microbial Species, which was formed in 1945, Switzerland. Present title adopted Sep 1980. Statutes revised by General Assembly: Aug 1982, Sep 1986; Aug 2005; Sep 2011. Registered in accordance with Belgian law.
Promote the study of microbiological sciences internationally; initiate, facilitate and coordinate research and other scientific activities which involve international cooperation; promote the publication of international study and research; promote the organization of international conferences, symposia, and meetings and assist in the publication of their reports; represent microbiological sciences in ICSU and maintain contact with other international organizations.
Events2021-08-22 | Vienna, Austria – Quadrennial Congress on Yeasts
2020-10-11 | Daejeon, Korea Rep – International Congress of Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology
2020-10-11 | Daejeon, Korea Rep – International Congress of Virology
2020-10-11 | Daejeon, Korea Rep – International Congress of Mycology and Eukariotic Microbiology
79 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
General Assembly (triennial, at Congress), consists of representatives of National Member Societies, Divisions and COMCOFs (Committees, Commissions and Federations) together with members of the Executive Board. Executive Board (meets annually); Steering Committee.
- K-XE0657 - IUMS Division of Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology (BAM), including:
- E-XE3397 - International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH);
- E-XD4327 - International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP) (with 25 sub-committees);
- U-XE1182 - Medical Microbiology Interdisciplinary Commission (MEMIC);
- E-XE4271 - International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF) (with 4 regional sub-commissions).
- K-XE9737 - IUMS Division of Mycology, including:
- K-XK0729 - International Commission on Antigens and Molecular Diagnostics (ICAMD);
- E-XE1175 - International Commission on the Taxonomy of Fungi (ICTF);
- K-XE3403 - International Commission on Yeasts (ICY);
- K-XK0213 - International Commission on Penicillium and Aspergillus (ICPA);
- U-XK0214 - International Commission on Food Mycology (ICFM);
- International Commission on Indoor Fungi (ICIF).
- K-XE9623 - IUMS Division of Virology, including:
- K-XE0202 - International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) with 7 sub-committees (Coordination; Bacterial Virus; Fungal Virus (with 5 study groups); Invertebrate Virus (with 4 study groups); Plant Virus (with 10 study groups); Vertebrate Virus (with a number of study groups); Virus Data).
- F-XD1405 - International Federation for Enteric Phage Typing (IFEPT);
- C-XD3396 - World Federation for Culture Collections (WFCC) (with 7 Committees).
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Consultative StatusAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.