7 May 1990, when first phase adopted by Council of the European Union; second phase - TEMPUS II (1994-1999) - adopted 29 Apr 1993, by Decisions of Council of the European Union; extended for 3rd time - as TEMPUS III (2000-2006) - 29 Apr 1999; 4th phase (TEMPUS IV 2007-2013) adopted autumn 2007. Title under phase III: Trans-European Cooperation Scheme for University Studies (TEMPUS III). Current fourth phase with full title Trans-European Mobility Scheme for University Studies (TEMPUS IV). Originally formed part of the overall Phare Programme and Tacis Programme. On 27 June 2002, geographic scope was formally enlarged to the the Mediterranean countries. Ceased to exist 2013.
Function as the main EU programme for the development and reform of higher education systems in the countries of the Western Balkans, Eastern Europe, Russian Federation, North Africa, Middle East and Central Asia; promote cooperation in higher education between institutions in the EU and these regions.Available with paid subscription only.
Funds projects between the higher education institutions in the EU and higher education institutions in the 28 Partner Countries outside the EU, to facilitate university modernization, reform of higher education systems and mutual learning between regions and people. Fourth phase (2007-2013) consists of 3 components:
• 'Joint Projects' based on multilateral partnerships between higher education institutions in the EU and the Partner Countries with the aim of transferring knowledge from EU universities to institutions in the Partner Countries and between Partner Country institutions themselves.
• 'Structural Measures Projects' seek to contribute to the development and reform of education institutions and systems in Partner Countries, as well as to enhance their quality.
• 'Accompanying Measures actions' fund meetings of project coordinators and other stakeholders, dissemination and information of activities and support to National Tempus Offices in Partner Countries.
StructureAvailable with paid subscription only.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Members in 56 countries
More detailed data available with paid subscription.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
- Research, Standards
- Secondary and Higher Education
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
Last News Received
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.