Nordic Council of Ministers (NCM)
Conseil des ministres des pays nordiques
Consejo Nórdico de Ministros
Nordisk Ministerråd (NMR)
Nordiska Ministerrådet (NMR)
Pohjoismaiden Ministerineuvosto (PMN)
1971-02-13 Copenhagen Denmark
Established 13 Feb 1971, Copenhagen (Denmark), in an amendment to T-XT6278 - Treaty of Cooperation between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden (Helsinki Treaty), signed 23 Mar 1962, and its revisions of 1971 and 1974, in order to administer cooperation among the 5 Nordic governments on the basis laid by the D-XD2984 - Nordic Council (NC) within the framework of Nordic Union. A permanent secretariat was set up on 18 Feb 1973, within the framework of T-XT7163 - Nordic Cultural Cooperation, in the secretariat of Nordic Council of Ministers for Cultural Affairs, Copenhagen, taking over the activities of the previous H-XH5558 - Nordic Cultural Commissions; other affairs were covered by a separate secretariat in Oslo (Norway). The Cultural Cooperation Secretariat no longer exists separately, all NMR activities now coming under the same secretariat in Copenhagen. In an amendment to the Helsinki Treaty, 7 Nov 1993, the Nordic Council was given greater influence over the Nordic budget and Prime Ministers were given ultimate responsibility for Nordic Cooperation and for coordination on issues of Nordic concern. Further changes to the Treaty, 2 Jan 1996, strengthened the influence of party-groups in the Council.
Accomplish the tasks laid down by the Helsinki Treaty; examine questions of Nordic international cooperation; preserve and further develop cooperation among Nordic countries in legal, cultural, educational, social and economic fields and on communications and environment; eliminate obstacles to closer cooperation in other areas. In view of increased and deepened integration in Europe as a whole, in which Nordic cooperation is an integral part: ensure participation of Nordic countries in expanded cooperation with the rest of Europe on foreign and security policy, so as to enable Nordic countries to shape the future development of their own societies and take their share of responsibility for ensuring an order of peace and cooperation in Europe; meet future needs of Nordic countries at both Nordic and European levels by strengthening Nordic cooperation in areas of common Nordic interest and expanding political cooperation on issues related to European and regional cooperation so as to facilitate participation of Nordic countries in European Economic Area and European Union cooperation; as a priority, expand the working programme for Nordic cooperation with areas adjacent to the Nordic region.
Events218 past events available with paid subscription only.
ActivitiesAvailable with paid subscription only.
Overall responsibility for the Nordic Council of Ministers lies with the respective Prime Ministers. In practice, responsibility is delegated to the Ministers for Nordic Cooperation (MR-SAM) and to Nordic Committee for Cooperation (NCC / NSK). Chairmanship rotates annually among member countries.
Despite generic name, consists of 'several councils' (11):
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Labour (MR-A);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Sustainable Growth (MR-VAEKST);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Digitalisation 2017-2020 (MR-DIGITAL);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (MR-FJLS);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Culture (MR-K);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Gender Equality (MR-JÄM);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Legislative Affairs (MR-LAG);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for the Environment and Climate (MR-MK);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Health and Social Affairs (MR-S);
- Nordic Council of Ministers for Education and Research (MR-U);
- Council of Ministers for Finance (MR-FINANS).
'Committees of Senior Officials' (15):
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ÄK-FJLS Fisheries and Aquaculture / ÄK-FJLS Fiske och Vattenbruk / EK-FJLS Fiskeri og Havbrug / EK-FJLS Fiske- og Vannbruk / ÄK-FJLS, Kalastus- ja Vesiviljely / ÄK-FJLS Fiskveidar og Fiskeldi);
- Nordic Committee for Senior Officials for Business (EK-N) -- Nordiska ämbetsmannakommittén för näringspolitik (ÄK-N) -- Nordisk Embedsmandskomité for Erhvervspolitik (EK-N) -- Nordisk embetsmannskomité for n'ringspolitikk (EK-N) -- Elinkeinopolitiikan virkamieskomitea (ÄK-N) -- Norr'na emb'ttismannanefndin um atvinnustefnu (EK-N);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Culture (EK-K / ÄK-K);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Education & Research (EK-U) -- Nordiska Ämbetsmannakommittén för Utbildning och Forskning (EK-U);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Energy Policy (ÄK-NE/E);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Environmental Affairs (EK-M / ÄK-MILJÖ);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Finance -- Nordiska Ämbetsmannakommittén för Ekonomi och Finanspolitik (ÄK-FINANS) -- Nordisk Embedsmandskomité for økonomi og finanspolitik (EK-FINANS);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (EK-FJLS Agriculture and Forestry);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Gender Equality (EK-JÄM) -- Nordiska Ämbetsmannakommitén för Jämställdhetsfrågor (Äk-JÄM);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Labour (ÄK-A);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Regional Policy (EK-R);
- Nordic Committee on Health and Social Affairs;
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ÄK-FJLS Executive);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ÄK-FJLS Food);
- Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Legislative Affairs (ÄK-LAG).
Secretariat, located in Copenhagen (Denmark), consisting of Secretary General's Office and Departments: HR, Administration and Law; Communications; Culture and Resources; Growth and Climate; Knowledge and Welfare. Nordic Council of Ministers' Information Offices: Estonia; Latvia; Lithuania; Russia. Shares offices with
D-XD2984 - Nordic Council (NC) and Nordic Culture Fund.
Instititutions and other cooperation organizations: Working Groups; Information Offices, offices and InfoPoints; Institutions; Cooperative bodies. 'Institutions':
- D-XM0903 - NordForsk;
- G-XG6914 - Nordic Culture Point;
- E-XE3715 - Nordic Energy Research;
- G-XF0034 - Nordic House in the Faeroe Islands;
- E-XE3472 - Nordic Innovation;
- G-XE1250 - Nordic Institute in Åland;
- H-XF7263 - Nordic School of Public Health;
- E-XE2795 - Nordregio - an international research centre for regional development and planning (Nordregio);
- F-XF8187 - Nordic Genetic Resource Centre (NordGen);
- G-XF4763 - Nordic House in Reykjavik (NHR);
- F-XF1037 - Nordic Institute for Advanced Training in Occupational Health;
- G-XF0381 - Nordic Institute in Greenland.
- D-XD6505 - Nordic Swan Ecolabel;
- F-XF4605 - Nordic Culture Fund;
- F-XF2774 - Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (NEFCO);
- F-XF1035 - Nordisk Film & TV Fond (NFTVF);
- E-XD5798 - Nordic Forest Research Cooperation Committee;
- E-XE5808 - Nordicom;
- E-XE2620 - Nordic Information for Gender Knowledge (NIKK);
- F-XD4457 - Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics (NORDITA);
- E-XD3929 - NIAS-Nordisk Institut for Asienstudier (NIAS);
- E-XD2734 - Nordiska Institutet för Odontologisk Materialprovning (NIOM);
- E-XE5800 - Nordisk Institutt for Sjørett (NIFS);
- F-XF0272 - Nordisk Journalistcenter (NJC);
- E-XE8054 - Nordic Medico-Statistical Committee (NOMESCO);
- F-XM5299 - Nordic Network;
- F-XF1040 - Nordiska Projektexportfonden (NOPEF);
- E-XE7095 - Nordic Social-Statistical Committee (NOSOSCO);
- F-XF8195 - Nordisk Sommeruniversitet (NSU);
- D-XD5423 - Nordic Teachers' Council;
- E-XE0569 - Nordic Volcanological Center (NordVulk);
- F-XF1990 - Nordjobb;
- Sami University of Applied Sciences;
- Council for Nordic Cooperation on Disability;
- F-XF2741 - Nordic Atlantic Cooperation;
- F-XF0624 - Nordic Development Fund (NDF);
- E-XD5557 - Nordic Joint Committee for Agricultural and Food Research.
Also functional withi NMR framework: D-XK0834 - Mid Nordic Committee; E-XE2908 - Nordic Children's and Youth Committee (NORDBUK); D-XK0835 - Nordic Cooperation Archipelago.
LanguagesAvailable with paid subscription only.
StaffAvailable with paid subscription only.
FinanceAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Inter-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
Relations with Non-Governmental OrganizationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
PublicationsAvailable with paid subscription only.
MembersAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type I ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Type II ClassificationAvailable with paid subscription only.
Subjects *Available with paid subscription only.
UN Sustainable Development Goals **
UIA Org ID
** UN SDGs are linked to the subject classification.
← return to your search page to find additional profiles.
UIA allows users to access and make use of the information contained in its Databases for the user’s internal use and evaluation purposes only. A user may not re-package, compile, re-distribute or re-use any or all of the UIA Databases or the data* contained therein without prior permission from the UIA.
Data from database resources may not be extracted or downloaded in bulk using automated scripts or other external software tools not provided within the database resources themselves. If your research project or use of a database resource will involve the extraction of large amounts of text or data from a database resource, please contact us for a customized solution.
UIA reserves the right to block access for abusive use of the Database.
* Data shall mean any data and information available in the Database including but not limited to: raw data, numbers, images, names and contact information, logos, text, keywords, and links.